Thursday 7 June 2007

Loose Women: "If you're wondering how to shut your children up, try violence!"

Incongruous sight of the day was Clive James on Loose Women (ITV). There to plug his new book, Cultural Amnesia, James desperately tried to reduce his conversation to the level of banality required by the four hosts, who gazed at him in a way that reminded me of the apes who found the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Coincidentally I'm in the middle of rereading his Unreliable Memoirs, and that, plus seeing him on this show today, has reminded me of my disappointment that he isn't still a fixture on our screens. If you feel like this too, you might like to visit his website, where he has a series of video interviews with various interesting people.

ADDENDUM: apologies to the inordinate number of people sent here by the link on the Wall Street Journal. I'm sorry that I haven't written anything more profound for you to read.

No comments: